How to start and run a successful drive to
support The Salvation Army
How will the donated items be used?
More than 200 men, women & children call The Salvation Army home each day; some just for the night, others for as long as two years. Meeting the basic needs of clients often starts in our Red Kettle Café where we serve nearly 400 meals daily and provide food boxes to nearly 7,000 households annually from our pantry. While a bulk of our nutritious food comes via local food banks, we also rely on the donation of both canned and non-perishable food items directly from the general community. Clients also receive clean sheets, blankets, towels and toiletries upon arrival. Bedding items and towels are washed and bleached daily, which over time, leads to their eventual demise; thus the continual need to replenish our supply. Additionally, as part of our mission to help restore the dignity of our clients, we provide basic clothing necessities such as undergarments.
drive you can run
» Food Drive
The Salvation Army operates its food pantry out of the M.A.L.E Campus on Brook Street, providing groceries to members of our community who are struggling with this most basic need. However, the shelves at our pantry continually need to be replenished.
Your business or organization can be part of the solution to this need by collecting food for our pantry with a Food Drive. With your help, we can provide boxes of nutritious groceries to people who are hungry and desperately need our help.
Here’s what we need most:
- Canned Meat (Chicken, SPAM, tuna, etc.)
- Boxed Meals (Hamburger Helper, Macaroni & cheese, Stove Top Stuffing, instant potatoes, etc.)
- Cereal(Cold & Hot)
- Dry Noodles (Ramen, Pasta variety, etc.)
- Canned Fruits
- Canned Soups
- Canned Vegetables
- Canned Meals (Ravioli, spaghetti & meatballs, chili, etc.)
- Peanut Butter
- Dry Beans
Please consider items that can be prepared to serve nutritious, well-balanced meals for families when donating. Please check the expiration dates on items and please DO NOT include dented or damaged cans or boxes
» Care kit project
- DELUXE TOILETRY KITS This kit includes a wide range of hygiene items in a reusable bag. Estimate Cost: $5-$12 Kit includes: Washcloth/Travel Size Shampoo/Travel Size Conditioner/Travel Size Soap/Deodorant/Lotion/Toothpaste/ Toothbrush/Comb/Lip Balm/Pocket Tissue Pack.
- EMERGENCY TOILETRY KIT Uni-sex hygiene kit, designed for 3-4 day use. Estimated cost: $3-$5. Contents: Small Toothpaste and Toothbrush/Small Bar of Soap/Washcloth/Shampoo Packet/Comb/Travel Deodorant
- MINI FIRST AID KIT These are for individuals living in long-term shelter programs. Perfect in small containers like an old pill bottle. Estimated Cost: $2-$4 Contents: Bank Aids (various sizes)/Alcohol Wipes/Lip Balm
- SUMMER SURVIVAL KIT When the temperatures rise above 90 degrees, those who live on the streets become vulnerable to the dangers of heat exhaustion, heat stroke, dehydration and second degree sunburn. Estimated Cost: $4-$8 Contents: Handheld Fan/Cold Pack/Travel Size Sunscreen (50 SPF)/Deodorant
- KIDS COMFORT KIT This kit is just for kids. it includes both personal hygiene and fun activity items in a reusable bag. Estimated Cost: $5-$10 Hygiene Items: Kid Sized Toothbrush and Toothpaste/Soap/Comb Fun Activity Items: Crayons/Pencil and Sharpener/Activity Book
- GOODNIGHT BAG This is for the children staying in the shelter for the first time. Estimated Cost: $3-$5 Bags include: Small Stuffed Animal/Flashlight or Glow Stick/Story Book
- BACK TO SCHOOL BACKPACK This is for the children heading back to school. Estimated Cost: $10-$20 Backpack includes: Paper/Pencil and Pens/Crayons & Colored Pencils/General Supplies/Classroom staples
- WINTER WARMUP KIT This kit is designed for those living on the streets who come to shelters to get warm. All items can be packed in a Ziploc bag. Estimated Cost: $10-$25 Contents: 1-Knit stocking cap/1 pair of lightweight gloves/1 pair of tube socks/1 Mylar blanket/2 hand warmers
» HOME KIT PROJECTS
- HOME STARTER KIT This kit is for individuals and families transitioning out of the shelter and into permanent housing. Estimated Cost: $10-$25 Contents: Laundry Basket/Laundry Soap/Fabric Softener/Dish Mat/Drying Mat/Dish Soap/Sponge/Hand Soap/All Purpose Cleaner/Window Cleaner/Disinfectant/Paper Towels/Toilet Paper/Tissue/Sandwich Bags/Kitchen Trash Bags
- BIRTHDAY-IN-A-BAG These are given out to families who receive food assistance through the Food Pantries. Every family with a child who has a birthday that month will receive a bag. Even if their family is living on a fixed income, every child deserves a birthday! Estimated Cost: $7-$15 Contents: Birthday Gift Sack/Cake Mix/Frosting/Candles/Cake Decoration/Party Plates/Napkins/Balloons/Small Gift/Party Favors/Party Decorations (Hats,Banner, etc)
- BEDDING KIT This kit is for individuals and families living in a shelter. The bedding will then go with them when they leave the shelter for permanent housing. Think Bed-in-a-Bag. Estimated Cost: $12-$25 Contents: Twin and Queen Size – Fitted Sheets/Loose Sheets/Blanket/Comforter/1 or 2 Pillow Cases/1 or 2 Pillows
- CLEANING KIT This kit is for individuals and families transitioning out of the shelter and into permanent housing or families getting back on their feet after a fire or flood. Estimated Cost: $5-$12. Content: Mop Bucket/Rubber Gloves/Small Dust Pan & Brush/Scrubbing Sponges/Various Cleaning Products/Disinfectant/Carpet Deodorizer
- KITCHEN KIT This kit is for individuals and families transitioning out of the shelter and into permanent housing or families getting back on their feet after a fire or flood. Sets of 4 are best. Estimated Cost: $20-$50 Contents: Pots and Pans/Plates/Bowls/Drinking Glasses/Mugs/Silverware/Cutting Sets
- HOME FIRST AID KIT This kit is for individuals and families transitioning out of the shelter and into permanent housing or families getting back on their feet after a fire or flood. Great in a plastic tub. Estimated Cost: $5-$20 Contents: Vinyl Gloves/Antiseptic Wipe (sting free)/Antibiotic Ointment/Hand Sanitizer/Hydrocortisone/Gauze Pad-Roll/Tape Roll/Plastic and Fabric Bandages/Fingertip and Knuckle Bandage/Elbow and Knee Bandages/Scissors/Tweezers
- NEWBORN STARTER KIT This kit is for pregnant women in the shelter care program, giving her new baby(s) a solid start. Estimated Cost: $10-$20 Contents: Receiving Blanket/Burping Clothes/Bottles/Pasifier/Baby cleaning Products/Baby Q-Tips/Teething Ring/Bibs/Wipes/Newborn Diapers/Baby First Aid
» winter coat drive
Winter Coat Drive For the homeless and those less fortunate, a winter coat can often mean the difference between life & death. That’s why The Salvation Army does what it can to provide a coat to the men, women and children who seek our assistance when winter sets in. The same can be said for the thousands of children who become part of our Angel Tree campaign. We make every attempt to provide a winter coat to these kids so that they can comfortably return to school after Christmas, helping lift the burden for their families who are struggling to meet their basic needs. With your help, we can provide that much needed “hand-up”.
Here’s how you can help:
Coats for shelter clients
Men’s, Women’s and Children (May be gently used – all sizes welcome)
Coats for the children of Angel Tree
Sizes range from toddler up to adult XL (MUST BE NEW COATS ONLY)
» Undergarments Drive
Undergarments Drive Helping our clients find their pathway to hope and a better life often starts with helping them regain their dignity. One of the easiest and most effective ways to do that is with new undergarments like underwear, socks, and t-shirts; the very items we take for granted on a daily basis. Helping us collect these items ensures we can continue “Doing the Most Good” for those in need.
How you can help:
Men’s – Packaged briefs or boxers (NEW ONLY, ALL SIZES & ANY COLOR)
Women’s – Packaged (NEW ONLY, ALL SIZES & ANY COLOR) All Styles
Men’s – Packaged over the calf or tube (NEW ONLY, ALL SIZES & ANY COLOR)
Women’s – Packaged (NEW ONLY, ALL SIZES & STYLES)
Men’s – Packaged crew or V-neck (NEW ONLY, ALL SIZES & ANY COLOR)
Women’s – Packaged tank-tops, V-neck, crew, Sports Bras (NEW ONLY & ANY COLOR)
» Bed Sheets, Towels & Blankets Drive
Each day, nearly 200 men, women & children come to our doors seeking shelter for the night and in some cases for as long as two years. When they arrive, each of our clients is provided bed sheets, towels and a blanket, all made possible thanks to your generosity. However, these items are washed, bleached and dried each day and over time begin to wear out. This is the reason we must continually seek to replenish our supply so that we can help others begin to restore their dignity.
COH BlanketsHere’s how you can help:
Towels (Bath size, new or gently used, WHITE ONLY)
Bed Sheets (Twin size flat sheets, new or gently used, WHITE ONLY)
Blankets (Twin size, new or gently used, ANY COLOR)
» Thanksgiving Turkey & Sides Drive
The Thanksgiving Holiday is a time when most Americans sit down do a bountiful meal of turkey and an assortment of sides, enjoying the fellowship of family and friends. But for many, this yearly feast is only possible thanks to the generosity of those in their communities where organizations like The Salvation Army provide the Thanksgiving meal. Each year, your Salvation Army feeds upwards of 800 men, women & children on Thanksgiving Day but due to shortages at area food banks, we need your help to ensure we have enough to meet the need. Please consider donating a turkey or an assortment of side items to help us continue “Doing the Most Good” for those who are hungry.
turkey2Here’s how you can help:
- Turkeys – (20 pound, frozen)
- Sides – (Large cans if possible)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Green beans
- Stuffing (Boxed)
- Dessert Pies (Any kind)
All Thanksgiving items must be delivered no later than 1 week prior to Thanksgiving Day
» Create Your Own Drive
Create your own “Drive” We know that our supporters and donors are both passionate and creative. That’s why we’re giving you the option of creating your own drive to support The Salvation Army. Simply click on the link below to register your drive and tell us what you’ll be collecting and how we can help you achieve great results. For questions, call David Yarmuth at 502-671-4917 or email to email@example.com
Once you’ve decided on what kind of drive you’ll host, The Salvation Army can offer the use of its branded cardboard donation boxes that are folded flat and require easy assembly to assist with the collection. Contact David Yarmuth to request your donation box(es) from The Salvation Army,
In lieu of collecting and donating specific items, you may elect to make a monetary donation to support the purchase of those necessities.
To donate by check, mail your donation to:
The Salvation Army of Louisville
P.O. Box 1149
Louisville, KY 40201-1149
Let’s Get Started
Register Your Drive
To register your drive, simply select the drive you wish to support above and then click on the “Register your drive today” link on that page.
How to make your drive SUCCESSFUL
Decide if your organization will collect items, money or both. Then set a goal based on an amount previously raised (last year’s total), or by the number of employees or participants. Setting a goal will make your drive more effective.
Announce the drive at organization-wide meetings, through email or online. Display flyers and posters and put collection boxes in highly visible locations. Contact David Yarmuth to use The Salvation Army logo on your flyers so that donors know you are working in coordination with us. Display a “drive” barometer or chart and update it frequently. Continue to communicate updates and reminders for the duration of your drive. If it’s a competitive drive announce which department or team is ahead.
Leadership by Example
Ask an executive to champion your drive. Ask them to make a personal appeal to staff or to make a leadership donation. See if your organization can match donations or make a challenge gift. People are better motivated when the value of their donation is multiplied.
Issue challenges and set a goal.
Competition between groups, floors or buildings always creates excitement and increases participation. Offer prizes or recognition to the winners. Your employer might want to sponsor a prize such as lunch for the winning team, dress-down days or paid time off (who doesn’t want to leave a few minutes early to beat the 5 o’clock traffic on a Friday!)